Wednesday, August 8, 2018

One of the things I miss most about Second Life (besides the old days when my wife would play with me there...she has left permanently to hear her tell it, but I hold out a little hope she will be back), was our property in Cartmel. We had The Magic Box, that key location in Sunnydale in the Buffy The Vampire Slayer series. Some people would come in there and buy some wares, while some, to my delight would use it to RP Buffy stuff. Right now my Kitely world (we call them worlds there because that is just what they are.. our worlds) is open to visitors and hypergriders, though there is really nothing there at this time besides a couple freebies. I am steadily adding stuff around the region as I get time. You can look up Cartmel if you want to visit, or hypergridders can use this address to get there: grid.kitely.com:8002:Cartmel

Maybe someday people can RP and visit, though RP was never something I did. I still enjoy when others do it though. I tend to be the real me personality wise in Virtual.  My long term plan is to flesh the world out with other Sunnydale notable locations. I have been buying a lot in the Kitely market to get things that fit the theme. There are some amazing talents on Kitely. I have easily found a great skin and some great hair along with lots of other stuff. I am having a really good time. Ilan and Oren, the grid owners are amazing. Support issues are dealt with in a matter of hours, often less than an hour. The forum is watched by Ilan and he has even offered help to someone who wasn't even buying a world there, but wanted help on running a region from their own computer.

There is no "us and them" mentality with Ilan. Kitely worlds can be open to hypergrid if the owner of the world wants it to be and the market can sell to other grids and standalones and whatever will allow access. The days of the closed grids, keeping the walled garden and making the scare tactic posts that Opensim is so unstable, etc are about over, as was evidenced by the closing of InWorldz and the migration of users out into the metaverse. Those tactics were designed to stop the people that are paying much more for a region from venturing out and seeing what freedom is out there. It isn't working anymore though. I have run into many who have left those worlds and seen for themselves how great it is to hop from grid to grid. I will post more on that later, really I just wanted to share a couple pictures of my very slow progress on my first full build.

It is far from finished, and even farther from professional. I don't worry about prim counts since I have tons to use. Therefore my approach to this has been likely backward from every good builder out there. But it is mine. For all it's warts.. I love it. And I can't wait to finish it. But that will be a bit into the future.

If you don't have a place to call home and want a nice region for as low as 14.95 (and can get even better ones as you look through the options), give Kitely a try. And with the ability to hypergrid to other places, it is not hard to find something happening somewhere. Just join a couple Opensim google + groups and you will see plenty of announcements of activities and grids to visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment